Name Changes and the IRS - 5 Things You Should Know

Share This

When you get married or divorced, or you change your name for any other reason, you have to change your name on checking accounts, retirement accounts, your driver's license, and so on. While you're doing all this paperwork, remember to also change your name with the Social Security Administration.

Here are five things you should know about changing your name:

  1. You do not have to report your name change directly to the IRS. However, it's important to report it to the Social Security Administration (SSA) before you file your tax return.

    You can change your name by mail or go to your local Social Security office. The Social Security Administration updates records of names, a process than can take some time.

  2. You may encounter problems if you don't report a name change.

    If you file your tax return with a name that does not exactly match the name on your Social Security card, the processing of your return may be delayed. The IRS will not accept an electronically filed return if the name and Social Security number do not match their records. If you're expecting a tax refund, that can mean a longer wait for your money.

    Changing your name with the SSA also helps safeguard your future Social Security benefits by assuring proper posting of earnings to your records.

  3. You must have proper documentation to change your name.

    This can be an original or certified copy of one of the following:

    • Marriage document
    • Divorce decree
    • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name
    • Court order for a name change

    In addition, you need two separate documents with identifying information or a recent photograph, such as a driver's license or passport.

  4. You must also notify the Social Security Administration if you change a child's name.

    For example, if you adopt a child, or if the child takes the name of a stepparent, you should report the name before you file your return. Otherwise, you may not be able to claim the child as your dependent.

    If you are not allowed to claim the child as a dependent because the child's name and Social Security number do not match, you could miss out on other tax benefits, such as education credits or the Child and Dependent Care Credit. You also will not be allowed to claim the Child Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit for the child.

  5. Use Form SS-5 to change your name with the Social Security Administration.

    You can get this form on the Social Security website at

October 2019
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Upcoming Tax Dates

October 11 — Employees who work for tips
If you received $20 or more in tips during September, report them to your employer - Details

October 14 — Everyone
Federal Holiday (Columbus Day) - Details

October 15 — Individuals
If you have an automatic 6-month extension to file your income tax return for 2018, file Form 1040 and pay any tax, interest, and penalties due - Details

October 15 — Corporations
File a 2018 calendar year income tax return (Form 1120) and pay any tax, interest, and penalties due. This due date applies only if you timely requested an automatic 6-month extension Details

October 15 — Partnerships
Electing large partnerships: File a 2018 calendar year return (Form 1065-B). This due date applies only if you were given an additional 6-month extension - Details

October 15 — Social security, Medicare, and withheld income tax
If the monthly deposit rule applies, deposit the tax for payments in September.

October 31 — Certain small employers
Deposit any undeposited tax if your tax liability is $2,500 or more for 2018 but less than $2,500 for the third quarter.

October 31 — Federal unemployment tax
Deposit the tax owed through September if more than $500.

October 31 — Social security, Medicare, and withheld income tax.
File Form 941 for the third quarter of 2019. Deposit or pay any undeposited tax under the accuracy of deposit rules .If your tax liability is less than $2,500, you can pay it in full with a timely filed return. If you deposited the tax for the quarter timely, properly, and in full, you have until November 10 to file the return.

View More Tax Dates