Certain information must be entered on the Form W-2 in order for state withholding to transfer to the state return. Enter the state(s) name in Box 15, state wages in Box 16, and the state tax withheld in Box 17. If local taxes were withheld, that data would be entered in Boxes 18 through 20 of the W-2.
To enter or edit the W-2 information:
- From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal Q&A tab
- Click Wages and Salaries to expand the section and then click Wage income reported on Form W-2
- Click Add to create a new copy of the form or click Review to review a form already created
- Select Quick Entry or Step-by-Step Guidance
- If you selected Quick Entry, enter the form exactly as it appears on your copy.
- If you selected Step-by-Step Guidance, continue to the screen titled Wages - W-2 - State Information to enter or review the state entries. Click Continue if your W-2 shows information in Boxes 18-20. On the screen titled Wages - W-2 - Locality Information enter your local wages, withholding, and the locality name.