Search Help Topics:

To e-file an Illinois tax return, you must have one of the following:

  • an Illinois Personal Identification Number (IL-PIN), or
  • a valid Illinois drivers license or Illinois identification card

Generally, you should use your assigned IL-PIN if you have filed an Illinois return in a prior year ("historical filer"). If you are a first-time filer or are not eligible for an IL-PIN ("non-historical filer"), you must use information from your Illinois drivers license or ID card. 

Historical Filers

Your IL-PIN should be provided to you on your IL-1040 booklet or on a postcard sent by the state. To obtain your IL-PIN, visit the IL-PIN Inquiry website or call 1-800-732-8866. You will need one of the following pieces of information to retrieve your PIN:

  • Illinois Drivers License or State ID Number
  • Prior Year AGI (IL-1040 Line 1)

Non-Historical Filers

If you are a first-time filer or do not have a state-issued IL-PIN, you will need a valid Illinois drivers license or state ID to e-file. Each of the following must be entered exactly as shown on your Illinois drivers license or state ID:

  • License or ID Number
  • First Name
  • Middle Name (if present on Illinois drivers license)
  • Last Name
  • Suffix (if present on Illinois drivers license)
  • Weight

If you do not have an IL-PIN, license, or state ID, you cannot file your return electronically. You will need to paper file your return this year. However, you should be assigned an IL-PIN to e-file next year. 

See the Illinois e-file eligibility page for more information on these requirements.

Was this helpful to you?