Married Filing Separate - Itemized or Standard Deduction

Per IRS Publication 504 Divorced or Separated Individuals , page 5:

Itemized deductions. If you and your spouse file separate returns and one of you itemizes deductions, the other spouse can’t use the standard deduction and should also itemize deductions.

    Dividing itemized deductions. You may be able to claim itemized deductions on a separate return for certain expenses that you paid separately or jointly with your spouse. See Table 1.

To report in the TaxAct program that your spouse itemized deductions (if you report this in the TaxAct program, itemized deductions will be reported on your Form 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return even if the itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction):

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Basic Info (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click Basic Info).
  2. Click Spouse, click the checkbox next to My spouse itemized deductions on their separate return, and continue with the interview process to enter your information.

If your spouse used the standard deduction, and you want to use the standard deduction, don't click the checkbox next to My spouse itemized deductions on their separate return. Go to our Force Standard or Itemized Deductions FAQ to make sure you have chosen standard deduction in the TaxAct program.

Related Links

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.