Search Help Topics:

To enter or review the information for Form 1099-MISC, Box 1 Rents:
  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
  2. Click Form 1099-MISC to expand the category and then click 1-Rents
  3. Make the appropriate selection for your type of rental income (see Note below) and click Continue
  4. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information

Form 4835
- If you were the landowner (or sub-lessor) and did not materially participate (for self employment tax purposes) in the operation or management of the farm, use Form 4835 to report farm rental income based on crops or livestock produced by the tenant. See Chapter 12 in IRS Publication 225 Farmer's Tax Guide for the definition of material participation for landlords. Use this form only if the activity was a rental activity for the purposes of the passive activity loss limitations. See Form 8582 Instructions Passive Activity Loss Limitations for the definition of rental activity.

Schedule C - If you provided significant services to the tenant, sold real estate as a business, rented personal property as a business, or you and your spouse elected to be treated as a qualified joint venture, report on Schedule C.

Schedule E - Report rents from real estate on Schedule E. See IRS Publication 527 Residential Rental Property for additional information.

If you also have federal and/or state tax withholding reported in Box 4 or 16, see Form 1099-MISC - Box 4 or Box 16.

Was this helpful to you?