Refund from IRS Less than Expected

If the tax refund you received was not as much as you expected, it may have been reduced by the IRS or Financial Management Service (FMS) as an offset to pay 

  • past–due child support,
  • Federal agency non–tax debts,
  • state income tax obligations, or
  • certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state.

If your debt is with the IRS, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 with any questions regarding the reduction in your tax refund.

If your debt was submitted for offset by another agency, FMS will take as much of your refund that is needed to pay off the debt and send it to the agency you owe. Any portion of your refund remaining after the offset will be issued by check or direct deposited to you. You can contact the agency with which you have a debt to determine if your debt was submitted for a tax refund offset, or you may call FMS at the 1-800–304–3107 or TDD 1-866–297–0517. The available hours are Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 5:00PM CT.

If your refund was used as an offset to pay a debt, you should receive a letter from the IRS within two weeks of your deposit, and you may find details on the IRS Where's my Refund page. The IRS will provide the amount of the offset and the amount you will receive after the offset.

Related Links