Stock Assistant is a valuable tool to provide a quick entry (spreadsheet style) mechanism for capital gain transactions reported on Form 1099-B.
You may quickly add new stock transactions by selecting the bottom table row. A new entry will be automatically created and you may enter all the necessary details.
- Description: A description of the stock transaction.
- Owner: The taxpayer that owns the transaction.
- Reporting Category: Indicates how the transaction was reported to the taxpayer. The reporting category selection will also determine the holding period for each transaction. Short-term transactions will be indicated with reporting categories A, B and C, while long-term transactions will be indicated with reporting categories D, E and F.
- Date Sold: The date that the stock was sold.
- Sales Proceeds: The amount of money received when the stock was sold. This amount should be the total amount, not an amount per share.
- Date Acquired: The date that the stock was purchased.
- Cost or Basis: The amount of money paid for the stock. This amount should be the total cost, not a price per share.
- Code: IRS approved code for any applicable adjustment to the transaction. For more information about the adjustment codes and amounts, see Capital Gain/Loss Transaction Adjustments.
- Adjustment Amount: The adjustment amount that applies to the code selected. For more information about the adjustment codes and amounts, see Capital Gain/Loss Transaction Adjustments.
- Gain/Loss: The total amount of gain/loss after any applicable adjustments have been taken into account.
- Review: This link will take you to the TaxAct Q&A for the current selection.
If you need to delete a transaction or modify multiple transactions, check the box(es) for the transaction(s) under Select All/Clear All and click the appropriate link below:
- Delete: This link will delete all data and forms for any transactions checked.
- Change Owner: This link will change the owner for the transactions checked.
- Change Reporting Category: This link will change the reporting category for the transactions checked.