If you electronically file your 2014 tax return, you can use EFW to make up to four (4) 2015 estimated tax payments. This is a free option. The payments can be withdrawn from either a checking or savings account. At the same time you file your return, you can schedule estimated tax payments for any or all of the following dates: April 15, June 15, September 15, and January 15 of the following year.
To set up estimated tax payments to go toward next year's tax liability using the TaxACT program:
- From within your TaxACT return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal Q&A tab
- Click 2015 Estimated Tax Payments
- Click Yes to review the requirements for making estimated tax payments
- If your return currently shows a Federal refund amount, the first screen will allow you to apply that refund to next year's tax liability.
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the information regarding your estimated tax payments.
NOTE: If you enter information to make estimated tax payments by electronic funds withdrawal while going through the Q&A interview questions, you must still mark each box to verify the quarterly payments when going through the electronic filing steps.
If you prefer not to use EFW to make your payments, or if you have already filed and would like to make electronic estimated tax payments online, see the Related Links for information on making payments using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) or IRS Direct Pay.
Call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel a payment. Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.