To enter your qualifying mortgage insurance premiums as an Itemized Deduction, please follow the steps below:
- Click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Itemized or Standard Deductions in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category, then click Interest expenses
- Click Continue or No until you reach the screen titled Itemized Deductions - Qualified Mortgage Insurance Premiums
Per IRS Publication 530 Tax Information for Homeowners, page 2:
Nondeductible payments. You can’t deduct any of the following items.
- Insurance, including fire and comprehensive coverage, mortgage insurance, and title insurance
- Wages you pay for domestic help
- The cost of utilities, such as gas, electricity, or water
- Most settlement costs. See Settlement or closing costs under Cost as Basis, later, for more information
- Forfeited deposits, down payments, or earnest money