Form 1099-SA - Distributions From an Archer or Medicare Advantage MSA

Archer MSA and Medicare Advantage MSA distributions are reported on Federal Form 1099-SA Distributions from an HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA. The information is transferred to Federal Form 8853 Archer MSAs and Long-Term Care Insurance Contracts.

To enter this information into TaxAct®:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then choose Federal.
  2. Click Other Adjustments in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand the category, then click on Archer MSAs and Long-Term Care Insurance Contracts
  3. Click MSA Distributions
  4. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter the appropriate information

Generally, if you receive a taxable distribution, you must also pay an additional tax on the amount included in income. The amount included in income is the amount not used to pay qualifying medical expenses during the year.