Search Help Topics:

A charitable contribution is a donation or gift to, or for the use of, a qualified organization. It is voluntary and is made without getting, or expecting to get, anything of equal value.

Generally, you can deduct your contributions of money or property that you make to, or for the use of, a qualified organization. A gift or contribution is “for the use of” a qualified organization when it is held in a legally enforceable trust for the qualified organization or in a similar legal arrangement. The contributions must be made to a qualified organization and not set aside for use by a specific person.

Examples of Deductible Charitable Contributions:

  • Money or property you give to;
    • Churches, synagogues, temples, mosques, and other religious organizations
    • Federal, state, and local governments, if your contribution is solely for public purposes (for example, a gift to reduce the public debt)
    • Nonprofit schools and hospitals
    • Public parks and recreation facilities
    • Salvation Army, Red Cross, CARE, Goodwill Industries, United Way, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, etc.
    • War veterans’ groups
    • Charitable organizations listed in the Exempt Organizations Select Check tool
  • Expenses paid for a student living with you, sponsored by a qualified organization
  • Out-of-pocket expenses when you serve a qualified organization as a volunteer
Per IRS Publication 526 Charitable Contributions:

You can deduct your contributions only if you make them to a qualified organization. To become a qualified organization, most organizations other than churches and governments, as described later, must apply to the IRS.

How to check whether an organization can receive deductible charitable contributions. You can ask any organization whether it is a qualified organization, and most will be able to tell you. Or go to Exempt Organizations Select Check and then click on “Exempt Organizations Select Check Tool”. This online tool will enable you to search for organizations eligible to receive deductible charitable contributions. You can also call the IRS to find out if an organization is qualified. Call 1-877-829-5500. (For TTY/TDD help, call 1-800-829-4059.)

Related Links:

Was this helpful to you?