Search Help Topics:

The IRS has made changes to your tax return and there is nothing owed or no refund based on the adjustment (CP 13A involves changes to the Earned Income Credit).

The notice explains the changes to the tax return (and/or Earned Income Credit).

If you agree with the adjustment(s), make the appropriate changes to your tax return record. If you do not agree with the change, call or write to the IRS at the phone number or address given in the header section of the notice.

Sections of the Notice:

  • Header Section: This area contains the Notice Number, the applicable tax year, the notice date, your Social Security Number and the IRS contact number.
  • Explanation Section: This section explains the reasons for the changes to your return and provides information on what you should do.
  • Response Section: If you have questions or do not agree with the adjustment, the notice directs you to contact the IRS at the number listed in the header section.

Sample CP 13: PDF Pages 1-3

Sample CP 13A: PDF Pages 1-2

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?