An amendment should be filed only if the IRS or state has already accepted your return and you need to make changes due to an error or omission.
Always print a copy of the originally filed return. This will be your only record of the return as it was originally filed.
To print your return:
See Printing Your Return and Individual Forms.
After printing your originally-filed return, go back to the Q&A and make the needed changes to your return. Make a note of each change and the reason; you’ll need these notes to complete Form 1040X.
Items changed on your federal return may automatically transfer information to your state return.
To complete the amendment process for your Federal return:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Filing. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then Filing.
- Click Amend Federal Return
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to complete the amended return. You may have already completed those steps listed to print the return and modify/add/delete information. At the end of the process you will be prompted to e-file or print Form 1040X (if you choose print, the mailing address for the form will be provided).
If you receive an error when accessing Amend Federal Return that states you must first complete the filing steps prior to amending the return, go to the Filing tab and click Print Return. You'll need to go all the way through this process until it actually prints the return (you don't need to print on paper, just clicking to view it is sufficient). Once you do this, you can go back to the Filing tab and click Amend Federal Return to continue.
If you choose to mail Form 1040X, attach any required accompanying documents, such as forms created in the return due to the changes made, or any documentation that would support the changes made (corrected W-2).
To complete the amendment process for your State return:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click State and then the name of the state.
- Click Amended Return and the program will proceed with the interview questions for you to complete the amended return. Note. If you don't see the Amended Return option listed on the first screen, choose Miscellaneous Topics as it may be located under that section. (You may have already completed those steps listed to print the return and modify/add/delete information).
- With most states, at the end of the process you'll be prompted to print the amended form and the mailing address will be provided. If you're not prompted to print your amended return, you will need to click Filing and proceed through the Mail Paper Return steps to print and mail your amended return. Most states require that an amended return be filed by mail. If the state allows e-filing of the amended return, this option will be available in the filing steps.
What if I didn't file my return with TaxAct?
Anyone can file an amendment with TaxAct, even if they used a different provider or mailed in their original return. If you didn’t file your original return with TaxAct, TaxAct won’t have your original figures. You must re-create your original return as it was submitted to the IRS or state. Once your return looks like the original, you can begin the amendment process.