Search Help Topics:

Before You Begin:

To avoid confusion it is usually best to wait and amend a return after the IRS has accepted the original return and you have received your refund, if applicable.

First, be sure to PRINT a copy of the original return you filed (this will be your only record of the return as it was when you filed it once you make the corrections for the amendment). If this is a new return (i.e. you did not originally file through TaxAct from this account), first enter the information so the return mirrors what is shown on your originally filed, printed copy and then follow the steps below to complete the amended return.

Return to the Q&A interview and modify, add, or delete the information that needs amending. Make a note of each item you are changing and the reason for each change as you will need these notes to complete Form 1040X.

To complete the amendment process:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click on the Filing tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then choose Filing.
  2. Click on Amend Federal Return
  3. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter the appropriate information to complete the amended return. At the end of the process you will be prompted to print Form 1040X, and the mailing address for the form will be provided (note that you may have already completed both Steps 1 and 2 that are listed on the screen Amended Return - Four Steps if you have followed all of the above instructions). 

If you receive an error when accessing Amend Federal Return that states you must first complete the filing steps prior to amending the return, go to the Filing tab and click Print Return. You will need to go all the way through this process until it actually prints the return (you do not need to print on paper, just clicking to view it is sufficient). Once you do this, you can go back to the Filing tab (on smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then choose Filing) and choose to amend the return.

The amended return, Form 1040X, will need to be printed when completed and mailed to the IRS. Attach any accompanying documents that may be required. These would be any forms created in the return due to the changes made, or any documentation that would support the changes made (e.g. corrected W-2 form). Amended returns cannot be e-filed.

Related Links:

Was this helpful to you?