Search Help Topics:


If you received a Form 1099-MISC Miscellaneous Income instead of a Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement, the income you received is considered nonemployee compensation or self-employment income.

Self-employed status means that the company or individual you worked for didn’t withhold income tax or Social Security and Medicare tax. As a result, you’ll need to complete Schedule C (Form 1040) Profit or Loss From Business (or Schedule F (Form 1040) Profit or Loss From Farming) and Schedule SE (Form 1040) Self-Employment Tax.

For help entering 1099-MISC information in TaxAct, see Form 1099-MISC - Payer Made Direct Sales of $5,000 or More.

Determining self-employed status:

You don’t have to be a business owner to be treated as a self-employed worker. Simply performing services as a nonemployee can be enough to create this tax treatment.

See Employee or Independent Contractor for more information.

Related Links

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?