Form 1099-MISC - Nonqualified Deferred Compensation

If you received a Form 1099-MISC instead of a Form W-2, the payer of your income did not consider you an employee and did not withhold income tax or Social Security and Medicare tax. This income is considered self-employment income and you must complete Schedule C (or Schedule F) and Schedule SE.

To enter or review the information from Form 1099-MISC, Box 7 Nonemployee Compensation:

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then choose Federal.
  2. Click Form 1099-MISC in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu.
  3. Click New Copy of Form 1099-MISC (Desktop users click Add) to create a new Form 1099-MISC
  4. Click Form 1099-MISC Quick Entry to open the Quick Entry window
  5. Enter all of the applicable information from your Form 1099-MISC
  6. Close the Quick Entry window
  7. Assign the Form 1099-MISC that you just entered to the applicable Schedule from the Assigned schedule or form drop-down list

You do not necessarily have to "have a business" to be treated as a self-employed worker. Simply performing services as a non-employee can be enough to create this tax treatment. See Employee or Independent Contractor for more information on this determination.

Related Links