Search Help Topics:

If you received a Form 1099-MISC instead of a Form W-2, the payer of your income did not consider you an employee and did not withhold income tax or Social Security and Medicare tax. This income is considered self-employment income and you must complete Schedule C (or Schedule F) and Schedule SE. 

To enter or review the information from Form 1099-MISC, Box 7 Nonemployee Compensation:

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then choose Federal
  2. Click Form 1099-MISC to expand the category and then click 7-Nonemployee compensation
  3. On the screen titled Federal Q&A - Form 1099-MISC, Box 7, choose which schedule you will use and click Continue.
    1. Schedule C is for Business Profit or Loss
    2. Schedule F is for Farming Profit or Loss
  4. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter the information for your business

You do not necessarily have to "have a business" to be treated as a self-employed worker. Simply performing services as a non-employee can be enough to create this tax treatment. See Employee or Independent Contractor for more information on this determination.

Related Links

Was this helpful to you?