How to enter data directly onto a form with TaxAct Desktop programs and Professional Editions.
- From within your TaxAct return, click Forms in the options bar to view Forms Explorer (if it is not already visible).
- In Forms Explorer, find the appropriate form, document received, or worksheet desired. You can click the Search Forms field toward the top of Forms Explorer to type a form number or word that may be used in a form name. The window will automatically filter to forms that contain the search terms.
- When you locate the form you want, click the form name. If you have already started the form, a dropdown will appear. Click + Add New to open a new form, or click the form in the dropdown, and it will appear in Forms View (some forms are only available in certain versions of TaxAct and a pop-up window will appear. Other forms may be listed but cannot be accessed directly, and a pop-up window will appear).
- Find the line you want to enter data for in Forms View, click in the Data Entry Field, and type the information (click the Yellow Folder next to the field to open the supporting document/worksheet for that field (the yellow folder will appear greyed-out if there is no supporting document/worksheet)).
Example to enter depreciation:
- From within your TaxAct 1040 return, click Forms in the options bar to view Forms Explorer (if it is not already visible).
- Click Form 1040, then scroll down to Schedule 1 Part I Line 3, Business income (or loss). Attach schedule C...
- Click in the Data Entry Field next to 3, and click the manila folder.
- In the window that appears, below Schedule C - Profit or Loss from Business, click an existing Form or click Add Copy, then click Open Form.
- Scroll down to Part II line 13, Depreciation and section 179 expense deduction (not included in Part III).
- Click in the Data Entry Field next to 13, and click the manila folder.
- This takes you to Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization. You cannot enter information directly onto this form.
- Click in any Data Entry Field, begin to type, and in the window that appears, click Open Supporting Form.
- Once completed, the data will flow to the correct location on Form 4562, then Schedule C.
If you're unable to locate the form, schedule, or worksheet that you need, it might not be supported in our product. You may download it directly from the IRS Forms, Instructions & Publications webpage. If you are unable to navigate through the forms, we suggest that you click Q&A in the options bar and use the interview method. This will ask questions about your particular tax situation and place the data in the appropriate location.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.