Importing using TaxAct is a quick and easy process. Please keep the following things in mind when importing:
- 2020 TaxAct Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Self Employed, Sole Proprietor, and Professional Editions users may import a prior year return that was created with any TaxAct 2019 Desktop program. These programs will import using any desktop return file with a ".ta9" file extension.
- Using TaxAct Desktop, Online, and Professional 1040 programs, you may also choose to import a PDF copy of your 1040 return created with another program. When choosing to import the PDF, you must have a PDF saved version of the actual return. It cannot be a return summary.
- Important. When you import a prior year return, any data that has already been entered will be overwritten. For example, by importing from a 2019 return to a 2020 return, the result will be a brand new 2020 return with only the imported data. You must import FIRST, then enter data into the new version.
Example: Importing into 2020 TaxAct Editions
- Start the current year's 2020 version of TaxAct.
- Click File from the top menu, then click Import.
- Click either Import TaxAct 2019 Return or Prior Year PDF Data from the drop-down.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the import of your return.