Fixing Incorrect Routing Number After E-File

If you e-filed your return and elected direct deposit, but the information is no longer correct (example: incorrect info, or the bank account closed), one of two things will happen:

  • If the return is rejected, you may correct the information within the return and then resubmit. If you need help with this, go to our Bank Routing Number and Account Number Location FAQ.
  • If the return is accepted, the IRS will transmit the refund to the bank and account specified. According to the IRS, you cannot request a deposit of your refund to an account that is not in your name. If the SSN and last name of the account holder does not match the IRS records, the bank should reject the transaction. The IRS will then print out a check and send it to the address listed on the return. To check your refund status, go to the IRS Where's My Refund? webpage.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.