Fixing Incorrect Routing Number After E-File

If you have submitted an e-file and elected for a direct deposit, but now know the information is no longer correct (i.e. entered incorrectly or the bank account has been closed), one of two things will happen:

  1. If the return is rejected, you may correct the information within the return and then resubmit. To correct the information, click Filing (on smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then choose Federal) and continue to the screen titled E-Filing - Federal Refund Options. Click Direct Deposit and enter the appropriate information on the screen titled E-Filing Direct Deposit Bank Information.
  2. If the return is accepted, the IRS will transmit the refund to the bank and account specified. According to the IRS, you cannot request a deposit of your refund to an account that is not in your name. If the SSN and last name of the account holder does not match the IRS records, the bank should reject the transaction. The IRS will then print out a check and send it to the address listed on the return. In most cases, this process happens fairly quickly, but please contact the IRS directly at 800-829-1040 to obtain status of your refund.

If you would like a status on your refund, you will need to contact the IRS directly at 1-800-TAX-1040 or 1-800-TAX-4477.

Related Links