IRS Reject Codes - Self-Select PIN/AGI Mismatch

If your return was rejected with any of the IRS codes below, you did not provide electronic filing information necessary to verify your return, or the information you provided does not match IRS records. This information is your prior year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or your prior year self-select PIN. For more information on these signature options, see AGI, Self Select PIN, and Electronic Signature.

You may review your entries and resubmit your return at no charge by repeating the filing steps. From within your return, click Filing and continue through the interview questions to correct any errors and resubmit.

Note. If only the federal or state return is rejected, you can submit only the return that was rejected. If your state requires you to file a linked return, you will need to resubmit both returns after you have made corrections.

The most common error is entering the AGI for the CURRENT YEAR instead of the PRIOR YEAR. The AGI entered in the filing step should be the original amount from LAST YEAR's 1040. If you filed a joint return last year, the Adjusted Gross Income entry for both spouses would be the same amount, but must be entered separately for each spouse.

The Adjusted Gross Income is shown on line 37 (Form 1040) of last year's tax return. If you filed Form 1040A, line 21, or Form 1040EZ, line 4 contains the amount to enter. The IRS doesn't acknowledge cents, so round the amount to the nearest dollar.

If you have never filed before, or if you filed last year using an ITIN and you have a Social Security Number this year, choose I am a first-time filer or I did NOT file a 2017 tax return on the prior year information screen.

What do I use for the original AGI if my filing status has changed since last year?

If your filing status changed from the previous year to Married Filing Joint, then each taxpayer will use their individual original AGI from their respective prior year tax return.

If the change is from Married Filing Joint, then both taxpayers will use the same original AGI from the last year's joint tax return.

What AGI or PIN do I use if I filed jointly with a different spouse last year?

If you filed jointly with a different spouse, in the previous year, use the total AGI amount from the joint return filed with the ex-spouse.

I imported last year's information - how can my AGI be wrong?

This can happen if you made any changes to your return after e-filing last year, but before importing this year. If that situation applies to you, follow these steps:

  1. Obtain the correct 2017 AGI amount from the copy of your 2017 return saved at the time you e-filed
  2. Enter that amount in your 2018 return filing steps for the prior-year AGI amount.

Related Links