IRS Reject Codes - Name, Birthdate, SSN Mismatch

Rejection codes that refer to a mismatching name, birth date, or social security number (SSN) indicate that somewhere on Form 1040 OR in the filing steps, there is a piece of information that does not match the IRS e-file database. The IRS records are generated by the Social Security Administration, so all names, SSNs, and birth dates should match those on the individual's social security card.

Common errors

  • The taxpayer or spouse birthday or SSN is incorrect or transposed on Form 1040 or in the filing steps.
  • A dependent's birthday or SSN is incorrect or transposed on Form 1040, EIC Worksheet, 8812, 2441, 8863, or 8839.
  • The taxpayer, spouse, or dependent last name is misspelled, truncated, abbreviated, or hyphenated incorrectly.

To correct an error

  1. From within your TaxAct® return (Online or Desktop) click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then choose Federal.
  2. Click Basic Information to expand the category, then click Name and Address 
  3. Review your entries and any supporting documents listed in the error message.
    • If you received error code R0000-500-01, the primary taxpayer's social security number or last name does not match IRS records.
    • If you received error code R0000-503-02, the spouse's social security number or last name does not match IRS records.
    • If you received error code F1040A-524-01, F1040EZ-524-01, or F1040-524-01, the primary taxpayer's date of birth does not match IRS records.
  4. After reviewing the basic information, click Filing and review all of the information in the filing steps.
  5. Correct any errors found in the preceding steps, and then resubmit your return.

If you are unable to determine the error after checking the information above, contact the Social Security Administration office at 1-800-772-1213, or your local office, to verify the information listed in their files.

Once you have determined and corrected the error, return to the Filing section to transmit your corrected return. You will not be charged again as long as the SSN has not changed for the primary taxpayer. If the Social Security Number did change because of a typo, you will be required to pay for the service again; however, you can contact our Customer Service Department and fill out a Customer Service Request form to request a refund. Make sure to include both the correct and incorrect SSN so they can issue a refund for the second transmission.

Note. Your return will not be resubmitted until you click Submit. Remember that it is your responsibility to check your e-file status.

Related Links