Follow these steps if you forgot your password:
- Click Sign In at the top-right of the TaxAct website.
- On the screen titled Sign In, click Forgot username or password?.
- Click the field below Username, Email, or Mobile Number, and type your username, email, or mobile number (if your username is an email address, click the Checkbox next to I use an email address as my username).
- Click Next, and continue with the on-screen instructions.
- Username : if you typed your username, you will be sent a verification code to your phone number to reset your password.
- Alternative Verification (online only) : if you typed your username, on the screen titled Check your phone, you can click Recover your account. You will answer questions about personal information to recover your account.
- Email : if you typed your email, we will send you an email listing the account(s) associated with that email, and you can choose the account for the password you want to reset.
- Mobile Number : if you typed your mobile number, enter the verification number that we texted you, and after the verification, we will show you a list of accounts associated with that mobile number, and you can choose the account for the password you want to reset.
Note. If you cannot find your prior year tax return once you are signed in, go to our How to Obtain a Copy of a Tax Return FAQ.