Preparer Notes can be used by the paid preparer, electronic return originator, or taxpayer to provide additional, voluntary information related to Forms 1120, 1120-S or 1065 tax returns, but it is not required to attach them. These notes are added to the return in the same area where the Election Explanations and Regulatory Explanations are entered.
To access these screens through the Q&A Interview:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click Federal).
- Click the Miscellaneous Topics dropdown, then click E-Filing Notes and Explanations.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all the appropriate information. Click on any of the Info icons on the screens for additional information on what should be entered on that screen.
To access these screens through Forms View (Professional and Desktop editions only):
- From within a TaxAct return, click Forms in the options bar to view the Forms Explorer (if it is not already visible).
- Click Miscellaneous Topics from the dropdown in forms explorer, then click the Worksheets dropdown.
- Click E-Filing Information. When you scroll down, there are separate sections for Preparer's Notes, Election Explanation, Regulatory Explanation, or Explanation for Automatic Extension for Taxpayers That Qualify.
Note. While this information will be e-filed with the Federal return, it will not be transmitted to the state.