Create a TaxAct Account before downloading desktop software or starting an Online return.
- From the TaxAct Home Page, click Sign In in the upper right-hand corner.
- At the Sign In page, click Create an Account in the upper right-hand corner.
- Enter your email address, mobile phone, and preferred username and password that meets requirements:
- Minimum 8 characters
- Maximum 100 characters
- One uppercase letter
- One lowercase letter
- One number
- One symbol (!@#$%)
- Check box to Remember this device (optional)
- Click Create Account
- A 6-digit verification code will be sent to the email you added to your account. Enter that code when prompted.
- A 6-digit verification code will be sent to the mobile phone you added to your account. Enter that code when prompted
- Click Get Started
You will be taken to the My Account page for your successfully-created TaxAct account.
- Click Get Started. You will be directed to our product selection page.
- Click Start for Free under your preferred product.
If you aren't sure which product you need, click File Free under the Free product. TaxAct will prompt you if your tax situation requires you to upgrade to a different product as you go.
Another way to add a return is to click the My Taxes tile on your account management page, click Add a 2020 Return, and then click File Free or Start for Free under the program you wish to use.
- Sign-In Help
- Access to Download - My Account
- States - Adding or Removing Return