Qualified Business Income Deduction - Pass-Through S Corporation Income

Per IRS Shareholder's Instructions for Schedule K-1 (Form 1120-S) Shareholder's Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc. (For Shareholder's Use Only), page 15:

Code V. Section 199A information. Generally, you may be allowed a deduction of up to 20% of your net qualified business income (QBI) plus 20% of your qualified REIT dividends, also known as section 199A dividends, and qualified publicly traded partnership (PTP) income from your S corporation. The S corporation will provide the information you need to figure your deduction. You will use one of these two forms to figure your QBI deduction.

  1. Use Form 8995, Qualified Business Income Deduction Simplified Computation, if:
    a. You have QBI, section 199A dividends, or PTP income (defined below),
    b. Your 2021 taxable income before the QBI deduction is equal to or less than $163,300 ($326,600 if married filing jointly), and
    c. You aren’t a patron in a specified agricultural or horticultural cooperative.
  2. Use Form 8995-A, Qualified Business Income Deduction, if you don’t meet all three of these requirements.

    QBI pass-through entity reporting information. Use the information provided to you by your S corporation to complete the appropriate form identified above.

    QBI or qualified PTP items subject to shareholder-specific determinations. The amounts reported to you reflect your pro rata share of items from the S corporation’s trade(s) or business(es), or aggregation(s), and may include items that aren’t includible in your calculation of the QBI deduction. When determining QBI or qualified PTP income, you must include only those items that are qualified items of income, gain, deduction, and loss included or allowed in determining taxable income for the tax year. To determine your QBI or your qualified PTP income amounts and for information on where to report them, see the instructions for Form 8995 or Form 8995-A.

To enter the Qualified Business Income (QBI) information from Schedule K-1 in the TaxAct program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click Federal).
  2. Click the Business Income dropdown, then click S Corporation income (Form 1120S Schedule K-1).
  3. Click + Add S Corporation Schedule K-1 to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to edit a form already created (desktop program: click Review instead of Edit).
  4. Continue with the interview process until you reach the screen titled S Corporation - Schedule K-1 Information, then click the checkbox next to Box 17 - Other information.
  5. On the screen titled S Corporation - Other Information, click Yes.
  6. Continue past the S Corporation - Other Information - Box 17A - B entries, to the screen Qualified business income deduction information and use the data entry fields to enter information from your K-1 Statement A.

Related Links

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.