To transfer your TaxAct Desktop Consumer program from one computer to another computer:
- On your new computer, go to Downloading and Installing TaxAct to download and install the TaxAct program on your new computer.
- You cannot copy the program from one computer to another because there are file associations and settings that are created when you download and install.
- You need to download and install the TaxAct program from your TaxAct account online.
- Use the default installation location for your TaxAct program.
- On your old computer, in the taskbar at the bottom of your computer screen, click in the field that says Type here to search. Type "file explorer", and click Open.
- Locate your return file folder.
- In your return file folder, with your keyboard, press Ctrl + A, then Ctrl + C. On an external drive, like a flash drive, DVD/CD, or network connection, press Ctrl + V to copy the files to your external drive. Remove your external drive, then connect the external drive to your new computer.
- On your new computer, find the files on the external drive, press Ctrl + A, then Ctrl + C. Locate your return file folder, then press Ctrl + V to paste the files to your new computer.
- For assistance with copying or pasting files or folders in the Windows File Explorer, please refer to Microsoft Support.
- If you have difficulty opening a file once it's on the new computer, go to our Consumer Desktop - Unable to Open FAQ.
- These instructions apply only to our Desktop Consumer products. If you use TaxAct Online, your files are stored on our secure servers and can be accessed by any supported device.