To share software downloads, unlimited or prepaid e-filing, reporting, or services (such as Client Xchange), the practice owner has to send each additional preparer an email invitation from the practice owner’s account (the account from which TaxAct program was purchased).
The email will include a unique link for the preparer to click to create or link his or her own TaxAct account to the practice ID.
Each user needs his or her own username and password.
For security, your practice ID, located in the upper-right corner of your TaxAct account, isn’t included in the invitation email. The practice owner needs to provide the practice ID separately to each invited preparer.
To invite a preparer:
- Click Preparer in the top menu, then Master Information, and then Preparers.
- The list of preparers associated with your practice will display. To include a new preparer, click the Add New Preparer link and then enter the new preparer's info.
- On the Preparers Information screen, use the Invite Status column to direct your next steps:
- A status of Assigned means you sent the invitation and the preparer joined the practice
- A status of Not Invited means you haven't sent the invitation
- A status of Email Sent means you've invited the preparer and are waiting for that person to join.
Next steps for the invited preparer:
Once the invited preparer receives the invitation email, he or she must:
- Click the Create a TaxAct account link in the email to create a linked TaxAct account or click the sign in here link in the email to link an existing account to the practice (clicking the link from the invitation email is the only way the invited preparer's TaxAct account will be linked to the practice).
- Enter the following information in the newly-created (or newly-linked) TaxAct account:
- Practice ID
- Preparer Name
- Email address (the address where the preparer received the invitation email)
- Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) and Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) - or Social Security Number, if not using a PTIN (if available)