Search Help Topics:


Per Instructions for Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC), on page 10:

Allocating policy amounts. You need to allocate policy amounts (enrollment premiums, SLCSP premiums, and/or APTC) on a Form 1095-A between your tax family and another tax family if:

  1. The policy covered at least one individual in your tax family and at least one individual in another tax family; and
  2. Either:
    a. You received a Form 1095-A for the policy that does not accurately represent the members of your tax family who were enrolled in the policy (meaning that it either lists someone who is not in your tax family or does not list a member of your tax family who was enrolled in the policy), or
    b. The other tax family received a Form 1095-A for the policy that includes a member of your tax family.

For example, if you could have claimed your child as a dependent, but chose not to, follow the instructions below to report their health insurance on your return.

To report your child's health insurance:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  2. Click Health Insurance in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Premium tax credit.
  3. Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
  4. On the screen titled Health Insurance - PTC - Form 1095-A, click + Add Form 1095-A to create a new copy of the form or click Edit to review a form already created, then proceed with the interview.

If you could not claim the child as a dependent, the child should enter the information on his or her own return (you must provide a copy of the Form 1095-A you received in this case).

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.

Was this helpful to you?