Form 1041 - Amending

If you need to make changes to your return after it has been filed, you may need to file an amended return. The amended Form 1041 U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts return is one of the few that the IRS will accept electronically, so you have the option to either mail or e-file.

Before You Begin

For those years still available in the Online program, Form 1041 can be completed online by accessing your Online account. For years prior to those available online, Form 1041 can only be completed with a TaxAct Desktop program. If you used the Desktop version of the program initially, you can amend through the program installed on your computer. To order prior year programs, please Access Prior Year Tax Returns via the Download Products tab.

To avoid confusion, it is usually best to wait and amend a return after the IRS has accepted the original return and you have received your refund, if applicable.

To complete the amendment process:

  1. Locate a copy of your originally-filed return. If you didn’t print or save your return when you e-filed, you will need to obtain a copy from the IRS or your state tax agency.
  2. Review your returns and determine what corrections you need to make.
  3. Return to the Q&A interview and modify, add, or delete the information that needs amending. Make a note of each item you are changing and the reason for each change as you will need these notes to complete the amendment. If this is a new return (i.e. you did not originally file through TaxAct from this account), first enter the information so the return mirrors what is shown on your originally filed, printed copy.
  4. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Filing to expand, then click Amend Federal Return. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
  5. Proceed with the interview questions to enter the appropriate information to complete the amended return.
  6. At the end of the process, you will be prompted to print the Amended Form 1041, and the mailing address for the form will be provided (note that you may have already completed both Steps 1 and 2 that are listed on the screen titled Amended Return - Four Steps if you have followed all of the previous instructions).

If you receive an error when accessing Amend Federal Return that states you must first complete the filing steps prior to amending the return, click Filing, then click Print Return. You will need to go all the way through this process until it actually prints the return (you do not need to print on paper, just clicking to view it is sufficient). Once you do this, you can click Filing, then choose to amend the return.

The amended return can be e-filed or you can print and mail Form 1041 to the IRS along with any accompanying documents that may be required. These would be any forms created in the return due to the changes made, or any documentation that would support the changes made (e.g. corrected Form 1099-R Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.).

If the income, deductions, credits, or other information provided to any beneficiary on Schedule K-1 is incorrect, file an amended Schedule K-1 (Form 1041) Beneficiary’s Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc. for that beneficiary with the amended Form 1041. Also give a copy of the amended Schedule K-1 (Form 1041) to that beneficiary. Check the Amended Schedule K-1 box at the top of Schedule K-1 to indicate that it is an amended schedule.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.