Form 1041 - Amending

If you need to make changes to your return after it has been filed, you may need to file an amended return. The 1041 amended return is one of the few that the IRS will accept electronically, so you have the option to either mail or e-file.

Before You Begin

For those years still available in the Online program, Form 1041 can be completed online by accessing your Online account. For years prior to those available online, Form 1041 can only be completed with a TaxAct Desktop program. If you used the Desktop version of the program initially, you can amend through the program installed on your computer. To order prior year's programs, please see Previous Year TaxAct Products. (Form 1041 was first supported by TaxAct for the 2014 returns).

To avoid confusion it is usually best to wait and amend a return after the IRS has accepted the original return and you have received your refund, if applicable.

First, be sure to PRINT a copy of the original return you filed (this will be your only record of the return as it was when you filed it once you make the corrections for the amendment). If this is a new return (i.e. you did not originally file through TaxAct from this account), first enter the information so the return mirrors what is shown on your originally filed, printed copy and then follow the steps below to complete the amended return.

Return to the Q&A interview and modify, add, or delete the information that needs amending. Make a note of each item you are changing and the reason for each change as you will need these notes to complete Form 1041.

To complete the amendment process

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Filing. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then choose Filing.
  2. Click Amend Federal Return
  3. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter the appropriate information to complete the amended return. At the end of the process you will be prompted to print the Amended 1041, and the mailing address for the form will be provided (note that you may have already completed both Steps 1 and 2 that are listed on the screen Amended Return - Four Steps if you have followed all of the above instructions).

If you receive an error when accessing Amend Federal Return that states you must first complete the filing steps prior to amending the return, click Filing and click Print Return. You will need to go all the way through this process until it actually prints the return (you do not need to print on paper, just clicking to view it is sufficient). Once you do this, you can select Filing and choose to amend the return.

The amended return can be electronically filed or you can print and mail Form 1041 to the IRS along with any accompanying documents that may be required. These would be any forms created in the return due to the changes made, or any documentation that would support the changes made (e.g. corrected 1099-R form).

If the income, deductions, credits, or other information provided to any beneficiary on Schedule K-1 is incorrect, file an amended Schedule K-1 (Form 1041) for that beneficiary with the amended Form 1041.  Also give a copy of the amended Schedule K-1 to that beneficiary.  Check the Amended K-1 at the top of the Schedule K-1 to indicate that it is an amended Schedule K-1.