The "Check if self-employed" checkbox must be checked in the Practice Master Information of your TaxAct program, and the Use Practice Information checkbox must be checked in the Preparer Master Information for the preparer assigned to the return in order for the self-employed checkbox to be checked in the Paid Preparer's Use area on the form. The box cannot be directly checked on the tax form itself. This information is taken from the Preparer Master Information and must be set in both the Practice and Preparer sections.
To make sure the self-employed box is checked:
- Select Preparer > Master Information > Practice.
- From within the Practice Master Information tab, select the checkbox that states "Check if self-employed."
- Click the Preparers tab in the Preparer Master Information window.
- In the Preparer Name is listed on the right, click the pencil icon to the left of the preparer's name entry.
- In the Address section, check the box that states, "Use Practice Information."
- Click OK in the bottom right corner.
- Click Close in the bottom right corner.
- Open the return in reference.
- Scroll to the bottom of the return. Ensure that the "Check if self-employed" box is now checked on the form.