Church Income Schedule SE for Self-Employment Tax

If you have church income (NOT including clergy, minister, or missionary wages), reported on a Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement that are subject to self-employment taxes, but no FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes were withheld, follow these instructions to enter or review the adjustment for Schedule SE (Form 1040) Self-Employment Tax.

Schedule SE (Form 1040) will print with the return and calculate the applicable self-employment tax on the return.

To enter or review the adjustment for Schedule SE in the TaxAct program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click Federal).
  2. Under the Federal Quick Q&A Topics, click the Taxes dropdown, then click Self-employment tax adjustments.
  3. On the screen titled Self-Employment Tax - Clergy Information, click the data entry field below Church employee income (if applicable), and type the amount.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.