According to the IRS website, Understanding Your Letter 5591
, this letter may be sent when you received the Advanced Premium Tax Credit, for health insurance purchased through the Marketplace, but the IRS either does not have record of you filing a return or they did not receive Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC)
, with your return. Form 8962 is used to reconcile any advanced PTC amount with the actual PTC for which you qualify.
When you receive health insurance through the Marketplace, you should receive Form 1095-A. Information from that form is used to complete Form 8962. If you have not filed a return, you should do so as soon as possible. If you did not include Form 8962 with your return, you should complete the form and provide it to the IRS as soon as possible. Instructions to enter Form 1095-A, which will generate Form 8962 are provided below. If the IRS does not receive Form 8962, or receives it late, you may be denied the advanced PTC for 2018.
If you filed a return which included Form 8962, you are instructed to disregard the letter. However, if you receive this letter after your return has been accepted and processed, you may wish to contact the IRS and provide them with the submission ID number (available in the acceptance email you received from TaxAct), and inform them that Form 8962 was included with that filing.
To enter or review Form(s) 1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Health Insurance to expand the category
- Click Premium Tax Credit
- Click Continue until you reach the screen titled Health Insurance - PTC - Form 1095-A
- Click Add to create a new copy of the form or click Review to review a form already created
- The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information.
Access your HealthCare.gov account to review your uploaded Form 1095-A.
To Print Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC):
- Sign in to your TaxAct Online return
- Click the My Account button at the top right side of the screen
- Click Print Center, then click Custom
- Check the box to the left of Federal Form 8962
- Click Print and then click the link that ends in Custom_Forms.pdf. At that time you can click the printer icon to actually print the form or close the window without printing.
- From withing your TaxAct return, click the Forms button in the top left corner
- Expand the Federal Forms folder and then expand the Forms and Schedules folder
- Double-click Form 8962 - Premium Tax Credit (PTC)
- Click on the pink Printer Icon above the form to print. You are able to choose if you wish to send the output to a printer or to a PDF document. Additionally, you can choose to only print preview the form.