If you believe you may be at risk for tax-related identity theft, fill out IRS Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit and either fax or mail it to the IRS so they can mark your account to identify any questionable activity (the fax number and mailing address are provided below the signature section on the second page of the form). If you'd like to complete IRS Form 14039 electronically, you may do so by visiting the Federal Trade Commission's IdentityTheft.gov website and starting an identity theft recovery plan.
Form 14039 is available in the TaxAct® program; however, is separate from your return and so will not print with your return nor be electronically filed with the return.
To enter information for Form 14039 within the TaxAct program:
- From within your TaxAct Online return, click the Tools dropdown, then click Forms Assistant.
- Click + next to the Forms and Schedules manila folder (if that section is not already expanded).
- Scroll down and click Form 14039 - Identity Theft Affidavit, then click + Add to create a new copy of the form, or click Form to edit one that you already created.
- Fill out the form with your information, and click Save & Close (for more information, click Form Instructions in the top left corner).
- From within your TaxAct return (Desktop), click Forms in the options bar to view the Forms Explorer (if it is not already visible).
- Click Federal from the dropdown in forms explorer, then click the Forms and Schedules dropdown.
- Scroll down and click Form 14039, and the form will appear in Forms View. If you already entered information on this form, the one that appears in Forms View will already have that information. If you want to create a new form, click + Add New in the new dropdown that appeared below Form 14039 in the Forms Explorer.
- Now you can enter your information directly onto the form (click the View form instructions icon at the top of Forms View for more information).
If you need help printing the form, go to our Printing Your Return and Individual Forms FAQ.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.