If you believe you may be at risk for tax-related identity theft, fill out IRS Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit and either fax or mail it to the IRS so they can mark your account to identify any questionable activity (the fax number and mailing address are provided below the signature section on the second page of the form). If you'd like to complete IRS Form 14039 electronically, you may do so by visiting the Federal Trade Commission's IdentityTheft.gov website and starting an identity theft recovery plan.
Form 14039 is available in the TaxAct® program; however, is separate from your return and so will not print with your return nor be electronically filed with the return.
To enter information for Form 14039 within the TaxAct program:
- From within your TaxAct Online return, click Tools down the left to expand, then click Forms Assistant.
- Click to expand the FEDERAL Forms folder, then click to expand the Forms and Schedules folder.
- Click Form 14039 - Identity Theft Affidavit.
- Click Add to create a new copy of the form, click Form to review a form already created, or click Print to print the form already created.
- Fill out the information directly on the form, then click Close Form in the top right corner when you are done and the information will be saved.
To print Form 14039:
- Click My Return in the top right corner.
- Click Print Center down the left to expand, then click Custom Print.
- Click Federal Form 14039.
- Click Print, then click the PDF link. The item will appear in a PDF read-only format. At that time, you can click the printer icon on the screen to actually print, or close the window without printing.
- Start your TaxAct Desktop program, then click Forms in the top toolbar.
- Click to expand the Federal folder, then click to expand the Forms and Schedules folder.
- Click to expand Form 14039 - Identity Theft Affidavit, then double-click the form you wish to review. If a form is not already listed for you to review, double-click Add Copy to complete a new form.
- Fill out the information directly on the form.
- In the blue toolbar at the top of the form, click the pink printer icon to print the form.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.