It is possible to attach multiple PDF files to represent summary totals for Form 8949. In a situation where a single PDF file would be quite large in size, it may even be necessary to attach multiple PDF files as there is a size limitation of 3 MB for attachments in the TaxAct Online program (2 MB for the Desktop program).
To understand better how PDF attachments are supported for Form 8949, follow the steps below to view the Form 8949 Attachment Information Summary
. Multiple copies of this summary form can be created in the return and then 1 PDF attachment is used to represent the information contained in each summary form. Each form can represent up to 6 worksheets in the return (1 worksheet for each of the 6 different reporting categories on the form), however there would still be only 1 PDF to represent each Form 8949 Attachment Information Summary form created. If multiple forms would represent the same brokerage, you would need to somehow differentiate the brokerage name entry for each form (i.e. TD Ameritrade 1, TD Ameritrade 2, TD Ameritrade 3, etc.).
To view the Form 8949 Attachment Information Summary
- Sign in to your TaxAct Online return
- Click the My Return button in the top right corner
- Click Print Center, then click the Custom tab
- Scroll down in the bottom section (the bottom section lists documents received or worksheets) and click on the checkbox(es) to the left of the item(s) click Federal Form 8949 Attachment
- Click the Print button and then click the PDF link. The item will appear in a PDF read-only format. At that time you can click the printer icon on the screen to actually print, or close the window without printing.
NOTE: If, after you click the Print icon in Step 5 above, you are directed to the Payment Option screen, you will need to process the product fees prior to printing (or print previewing the form). DESKTOP:
- Start your TaxAct Desktop program
- Click on Return from the drop down menu at the top of your screen and hover your mouse over Review and then click on Forms OR click on the Forms button in the toolbar below the menu
- Expand the Federal folder and then expand the Forms and Schedules folder
- Scroll down (almost to the bottom of the Forms list) and click '+' next to Form 8949 Attachment - Form 8949 Attachment Summary and then double-click the form listed. If a form is not already listed for you to review, double-click Add Copy to complete a new form.
To enter the information for each Form 8949 Attachment Information Summary form (each form created would then be represented by a PDF which would be attached to the return in the filing steps):
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
- Click Investment Income to expand the category and then click Gain or loss on the sale of investments to expand that category
- Click Enter totals from a statement of transactions you will attach to your return
- Click Add to create a new copy of the Form 8949 Attachment Information Summary form or click Review to review a copy already created
- On the following screen, check the box, then click Continue
- Enter the name of the brokerage firm (e.g. TD Ameritrade, E*Trade) or software vendor (e.g. GainsKeeper, TradeLog, Form8949.com) who supplied you with the attachment and click Continue
- You will now enter the summary totals for this summary form based upon each reporting category:
Select the reporting category for the totals you are entering and click Continue.Enter the summary totals for the reporting category and click ContinueThe next screen will show how the information will be reported on Form 8949. Click Continue to add another reporting category, click Continue twice more to instead add another Form 8949 Attachment Information Summary form. If you have more than six brokerage statements, you would want to enter the six containing the most transactions by this method and then enter the transactions on the other statements via another method.
- For each reporting category you need to report, click Add
- To review previously entered Summary Total amounts, click Review