Search Help Topics:

If you have more seller-financed mortgage (SFM) statements in your return than what the program supports (maximum of 20 for the 2017 tax return), the following workaround will enable you to accomplish that. Note. You will be required to paper file the return. 

The work-around is to combine multiple SFM statements together to create one total SFM that includes the amounts from all of the SFM statements into one entry using the issuer name SEE ATTACHED. This will allow the correct amounts to be transferred to the return.

You would then create an attachment detailing each of the SFM statements as they would be displayed on Federal Schedule B, and submit that statement with the rest of the return when you mail it to the IRS. You could provide that detail on a hand written sheet of paper or use a spreadsheet or document program to create the details.

To enter the interest income from a seller-financed mortgage into the TaxAct program:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
  2. Click Investment Income to expand the category and then click Interest income from seller financed mortgage(s)
  3. Click Add to create a new copy of the form or Review to review a form already created 
  4. On the first screen enter the text SEE ATTACHED in the field Payer's name: and leave blank the field for the social security number
  5. Click Continue and enter the total amount of interest
  6. When you print the return, you will see the total interest listed on line 8a of Federal Form 1040 and IF the amount entered in total requires Federal Schedule B to print with the return you will see the text SEE ATTACHED as the description for the name of the payer
  7. Paper file the return including your statement of the details 

Per IRS Publication 523 Selling Your Home, page 18:

Report any interest you receive from the buyer. If the buyer is making payments to you over time (as when you provide seller financing), then you must generally report part of each payment as interest on your tax return. Report the interest as ordinary income on Form 1040, line 8a. If the buyer is using the property as a first or second home, also report the interest on Schedule B (Form 1040A or 1040), Interest and Ordinary Dividends, to Form 1040 and provide the buyer's name, address, and social security number. There is a $50 penalty per requirement for failing to meet any of these requirements.

Note. If either you or the buyer is a nonresident or resident alien who doesn't have and isn't eligible to get a social security number, an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) may be provided instead. If you do not have an ITIN, apply for one by filing Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

For more information on installment sales, see IRS Publication 537 Installment Sales.

Was this helpful to you?