It is possible to e-file a state business return (1065, 1120-S, or 1120) even if you did not e-file the federal return through TaxAct®. Many states prefer that a state return be e-filed with the federal return. In order to submit your state return, you will need to make the system think that your federal return has already been filed. It is important to note that the federal return must qualify for e-filing (you don't need to e-file it) or the state will need to be paper filed.
Please use the instructions below to e-file your state return alone:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- On the Filing screen, click Paper.
- Click Federal Only.
- Complete the on-screen instructions up to the point of printing your federal return.
- After viewing and printing your federal return, click Filing.
- Click E-File my Return, then click Continue.
- On the next screen it will show check boxes for Federal and State. Make sure the check boxes reflect only the state return.
- Continue through each of the questions and answers until you have received the Submitted Successfully screen.