Search Help Topics:


If you received Form(s) W-2, and some or all of your wages are exempt by tax treaty, you will need to manually adjust your W-2 entry to reflect only the wages that are not exempt by tax treaty. Wages which are exempt by tax treaty should be reported on Schedule OI. The IRS will match the amount reported on your Form(s) W-2 with the amounts reported on lines 8 and 22 of your Form 1040NR or lines 3 and 6 on your Form 1040NR-EZ.

You will need to paper-file your return. 


See Enter in Program - Form W-2.

In box 1, enter only the amount of your wages which are not exempt by tax treaty

To enter the information for your wages exempt by tax treaty on Schedule OI:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal.
  2. Click Income Exempt from Tax Under Treaty
  3. The program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review your exempt treaty income

Was this helpful to you?