Should I File Form 1040-NR?

To determine if you need to file Form 1040-NR U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return:

  1. From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Basic Info. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Basic Info.
  2. On the screen titled Let's review your information, click Edit either on your Personal tab or on your Spouse tab (if any).
  3. If Nonresident alien is checked for yourself or My spouse is a nonresident alien and is not required to have an SSN or ITIN is checked for your spouse, then you will need to file Form 1040-NR.

Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.