New York Form IT-280 Nonobligated Spouse Allocation is filed if you do not want to apply your part of a joint refund or refundable credit to a debt solely-owned by your spouse.
You should file Form IT-280 if you want to disclaim your spouse's:
- defaulted governmental education,
- state university or city university loan,
- past-due support liability, or
- past-due legally enforceable debt to a NYS agency or NYC tax warrant judgement debt.
To enter information for this form:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click State, then click New York (or NY). On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click State.
- Click Miscellaneous Topics in the New York Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Form IT-280 - Nonobligated Spouse Allocation.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.