If you want to add back all of the clients that you deleted or removed from Client Manager, you can rebuild Client Manager. Rebuilding will only add back clients that you deleted or removed from Client Manager, it will not add back clients whose files you deleted in that process. If you're not sure how deleting works, go to our Delete Client from Client Manager FAQ.
If you want to rebuild your Client Manager:
- From within your TaxAct Professional Edition, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Shift + P.
- In the window that appears, click the Checkbox next to each of the options to check them, then click Yes.
- The process can take up to a minute, or take more time if you have a lot of clients. When it's done, a window will appear, click Ok.
You should check to make sure your Master Form Data transferred, this includes Charge by Form, Billing Invoice, and Instruction Letter. Follow these steps to check:
- From within your TaxAct Professional Edition, click Preparer in the upper menu bar, hover your mouse over Master Information, hover your mouse over Master Form Data, then click a return to check.
- If the information is the same as before, then your Master Form Data successfully transferred. If the information is not the same as before, you can change it now and copy it to your other client returns. For help, go to our Master Forms Master Instruction Letter FAQ.
The master information is stored on TaxAct secure servers. If you are working in offline mode, you will need to switch to online mode to update that information. Appointment manager and cached preparer data are stored in prXXmaster.dat file (where XX stands for the tax year (for example, for 2020, the file would be named pr20master.dat)). This file should be located in the client data folder. If it has been moved to another location, this may be the reason why that information has been lost.