Online backup is not an automatic process. You must perform the operation with the commands in your program each time you wish to back up or restore returns online.
To perform the backup:
- Select the File menu, click Backup, then click Client Return(s).
- Select the Online option, then click Next.
- Sign in with your TaxAct username and password. If you have forgotten either, you may click the Forgot username or password? link.
- Select the returns you wish to back up by checking the box next to the returns. You can also click Select All to select all returns.
- If you wish to back up your preparer master information, check Backup Preparer Master Information below your list of client returns.
- Click Finish to complete the process.
For tax years 2015 and newer, use the Restore command on the File menu, then use your regular TaxAct account sign-in. Backups from tax years 2014 and older are no longer available.
Note. The Online Backup feature is not available when using the Enterprise online ("cloud") option, as your returns are saved directly to TaxAct secure servers.