Online backup is not an automatic process. You must perform the operation with the commands in your program each time you wish to back up or restore returns online.
To perform the backup:
- Select the File Menu, then Backup, then Client Return(s).
- Select the Online option and click Next.
- Sign in with your TaxAct username and password. If you have forgotten either, you may click forgot username or forgot password links.
- Select the returns you wish to back up by checking the box next to the returns. You can also use the Select All button to select all returns.
- If you wish to back up your preparer master information, check the box below your list of client returns labeled Backup Preparer Master Information.
- Click the Finish button to complete the process.
For tax years 2015 and after, use the Restore command on the File menu and then use your regular TaxAct account sign-in. Backups from tax years 2014 and prior are no longer available.
Note. The Online Backup feature is not available when using the Enterprise online ("cloud") option, as your returns are saved directly to TaxAct secure servers.