IRS Form 8862 Information To Claim Certain Refundable Credits After Disallowance is used if your earned income credit (EIC) was reduced or disallowed in a previous year and you would like to claim the EIC on your current return.
If you were previously disallowed from taking the EIC, claiming the credit this year will result in your return being rejected with IRS error code IND-046. This rejection will instruct you to attach Form 8862 to your return and refile.
To add Form 8862 to your TaxAct® return:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal. On smaller devices, click in the upper left-hand corner, then click Federal.
- Click Other Credits in the Federal Quick Q&A Topics menu to expand, then click Information to claim certain credits after disallowance.
- Continue with the interview process to enter all of the appropriate information.
After you have finished entering the information for Form 8862, you can refile your return by clicking Filing and repeating the filing steps.
To delete Form 8862 from your return:
- Click Tools down the left to expand, then click Forms Assistant.
- Click to expand the FEDERAL Forms folder, then click to expand the Forms and Schedules folder.
- Click Form 8862 - Information to Claim Certain Credits After Disallowance.
- Click Delete, then click OK to confirm that you wish to delete the form.
- Click Forms in the top left corner of the toolbar.
- Click to expand the Federal and Forms and Schedules folders.
- Double-click Form 8862 - Information to Claim Certain Credits After Disallowance.
- Right-click the copy of the form you wish to delete, click Delete Copy, then click Yes to confirm.
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the document at the time it is accessed.