IRS Form 8862 Information to Claim Certain Refundable Credits After Disallowance is used if your earned income credit (EIC) was reduced or disallowed in a previous year and you would like to claim the EIC on your current return.
If you were previously disallowed from taking the EIC, claiming the credit this year will result in your return being rejected with IRS error code IND-046. This rejection will instruct you to attach Form 8862 to your return and refile.
Adding Form 8862
To add Form 8862 to your TaxAct® return:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Other Credits to expand the category, then click Information to claim certain refundable credits after disallowance
- the program will proceed with the interview questions for you to enter or review the appropriate information
After you have finished entering the information for Form 8862, you can refile your return by clicking the Filing tab and repeating the filing steps.
Removing Form 8862
If you have entered information on Form 8862 in error and need to delete the form from your return:
- Click the Tools on the right side of the screen to expand the category then click Forms Assistant
- Expand the Federal Forms and Forms and Schedules folders. Scroll down and click Form 8862 - Information to Claim Certain Refundable Credits After Disallowance
- Click the Delete icon to the right of the form
- Click OK to confirm that you wish to delete the form
- Click the Forms button in the top left corner of the toolbar
- Expand the Federal and Forms and Schedules folders
- Scroll down and double click Form 8862 - Information to Claim Certain Refundable Credits After Disallowance
- Right click the copy of the form you wish to delete, then select Delete Copy and click Yes to confirm