IRS Form 8862 Information to Claim Earned Income Credit After Disallowance is used if your earned income credit (EIC) was reduced or disallowed in a previous year and you would like to claim the EIC on your current return.
If you were previously disallowed from taking the EIC, claiming the credit this year will result in your return being rejected with IRS error code IND-046. This rejection will instruct you to attach Form 8862 to your return and refile.
Adding Form 8862
To add Form 8862 to your TaxAct® return:
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop) click on the Federal tab. On smaller devices, click the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner, then select Federal
- Click Other Credits to expand the category, then click Information to claim EIC after disallowance
- Click Yes and the program will proceed with the interview questions
After you have finished entering the information for Form 8862, you can refile your return by clicking the Filing tab and repeating the filing steps.
Removing Form 8862
If you have entered information on Form 8862 in error and need to delete the form from your return:
- Click the Forms tab on the right side of the screen
- Click View Complete Forms List
- Expand the Federal Forms and Forms and Schedules folders. Scroll down and click Form 8862 - Information to Claim EIC After Disallowance.
- Click the checkbox on the right side of the screen and then click Delete
- Click OK to confirm that you wish to delete the form
- Click the Forms button in the top left corner of the toolbar
- Expand the Federal and Forms and Schedules folders
- Scroll down and double click Form 8862 - Information to Claim EIC After Disallowance
- Click on the red X above the Federal Forms list to delete the form and then click Yes to confirm that you wish to delete the form