Per IRS Instructions for Schedule A Itemized Deductions, page A-13:
Other Itemized Deductions
List the type and amount of each expense from the following list next to line 16 and enter the total of these expenses on line 16. If you are filing a paper return and you can't fit all your expenses on the dotted lines next to line 16, attach a statement instead showing the type and amount of each expense.
CAUTION! Only the expenses listed next can be deducted on line 16. For more information about each of these expenses, see Pub. 529.
- Gambling losses (gambling losses include, but aren't limited to, the cost of non-winning bingo, lottery, and raffle tickets), but only to the extent of gambling winnings reported on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 8.
- Casualty and theft losses of income-producing property from Form 4684, lines 32 and 38b, or Form 4797, line 18a.
- Federal estate tax on income in respect of a decedent.
- A deduction for amortizable bond premium (for example, a deduction allowed for a bond premium carryforward or a deduction for amortizable bond premium on bonds acquired before October 23, 1986).
- An ordinary loss attributable to a contingent payment debt instrument or an inflation-indexed debt instrument (for example, a Treasury Inflation-Protected Security).
- Deduction for repayment of amounts under a claim of right if over $3,000. See Pub. 525 for details.
- Certain unrecovered investment in a pension.
- Impairment-related work expenses of a disabled person.
Because this list is specific, the TaxAct® program only allows these items to be entered on Line 16. The items that require forms need to be reported on the form to transfer to line 16, and the rest of the items can be entered as other itemized deductions in the TaxAct program.
To enter other itemized deductions in TaxAct (if you itemize deductions on your return):
- From within your TaxAct return (Online or Desktop), click Federal (on smaller devices, click in the top left corner of your screen, then click Federal).
- Click the Itemized or Standard Deductions dropdown, then click Other itemized deductions.
- Use the data entry fields to enter your amounts (if any).
Note that any link in the information above is updated each year automatically and will take you to the most recent version of the webpage or document at the time it is accessed.